The “smoke house,” beside the superintendent’s houseBeing uninhabited for many years, the farm house is in very bad condition. There has been some discussion about restoring it, but some are doubtful that restoration would be possible. We should probably get someone out there who knows more about restoring old buildings, to give us an idea of whether the old house is restorable.
The Old Folks’ HomeShown to the left is the “Old Folks’ Home,” the building where some of the poor people lived. During World War II this building was moved to Weatherford, and became the building for the Church of the Living God. Only the concrete porches are left at the poor farm, with big trees growing out of the middle of it.
Some other buildings at the Poor Farm:
In the 1950′s, a dairy farm was operated at the Poor Farm. The buildings from this dairy are still there, just northeast of the superintendent’s house.
Also at the poor farm, there is an old concrete stock tank, dating back to 1921. It is inscribed with the following:
“WL Byron—A Bielss 1921 APRI 9″
The old stock tank from 1921Both W. L. Byron and Alvin Bielss were superintendents of the farm at different times. However, Mr. Bielss and his family moved to Parker County from California in the 1930′s, so Mr. Byron was probably the superintendent at the time the stock tank was made. Maybe Mr. Bielss was just visiting!